Festival Park Redesign
Festival Park is the heart of Downtown Castle Rock and is home to some of the community’s most treasured events. Soon, this central gathering space will be transformed into a vibrant urban center. This project was planned through a collaborative effort of residents, the Downtown Development Authority, Downtown Merchants Association and the Town.
On Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 a construction contract between the Town and M.A. Mortenson Company was approved by Town Council to redevelop Festival Park. The goals are to enhance the park, boost the success of the adjacent Downtown business district and create an active public gathering space for both work and relaxation.
Throughout the planning process, the Town solicited input from the public to help re-image the park. The $6.9 million-park-improvement project will include amenities such as a landing pavilion, splash pad, two fire-pits, an open lawn, a creek-side picnic area, market plaza, bridge connections to Town Hall parking, improved lighting and seating, an overlook walkway with an iconic lantern feature and a water-play area in Sellars Gulch. In addition to the amenities, stormwater improvements along Sellars Gulch will be implemented to align with national flood plain regulations and provide public access to the creek.
It’s also important to note, the park’s redesign will include a permanent partial closure of Second Street. Traffic will only be permitted to enter Second Street one-way from Perry Street and will be required to exit through the alley north. This will allow for both a pedestrian walkway and market plaza to be incorporated into the park.
Construction is set to begin early 2017 and is planned to be completed by Starlighting.
The Festival Park redesign project has multiple funding sources including the Conservation Trust Fund, the Parks and Recreation Capital Fund, the Town's unobligated General Fund, the Town's Stormwater Account and the Downtown Development Authority's TIF (tax increment financing).
|Town of Castle Rock||$2.9 million|
|Downtown Development Authority||$4 million|
|Contract Award||M.A. Mortenson Company|
- Planning for the redesign of the park was a vision some time ago. In 2008, Downtown businesses voted to increase their property taxes to help pay for Downtown improvement projects through a TIF fund.
- Council approved the final design concept and funding as part of the 2016 budget.
- Public engagement process took place to get resident feedback. Check out the results from the public engagement process.
- Design Workshop – the landscape design consultant for the project – led a team of highly-qualified architects and engineers to develop construction drawings suitable for the contractor-bidding process.
- Town Council approved a construction contract with M.A. Mortenson Company.
- Construction is set to begin and is planned to be completed within roughly one year.
Anticipated Closures / Parking Suggestions
- Permanent partial closure of Second Street.
- The right turn lane onto Second Street when heading north on Wilcox will also be removed.
- Only five parking spots will remain on Second Street after construction begins. Please check back for an updated Downtown parking map.
- Sellars Gulch Trail will be temporarily closed to accommodate construction (detour will be created).
- More information on the dates and timing of the aforementioned closures will be posted as available, along with suggested detours.
The Town and M.A. Mortenson Company are busy completing pre-construction services such as procurement of materials, review and approval of submittals, verification of underground utilities and acquisition of local, state and federal permits. Check back for more construction progress updates.