American Hiking Society's National Trails Day
Take part in one-day hiking and paddling recreational opportunities at Rueter-Hess Reservoir. The reservoir has not yet opened to the public, so this special event is a great opportunity to explore this scenic reservoir.
Discover Rueter-Hess Reservior
The American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day is a nationally recognized trail awareness program that occurs annually on the first Saturday in June. The program is intended to inspire the public to discover, learn about and celebrate trails.
Volunteers Needed!Help us and your registration fee is covered. Sign up here.
Guided hikes of various distances will be offered to the general public along the southeastern edge of the reservoir.
Here's what to know:
- The hikes will depart every 60 minutes beginning at 9 a.m. for the longest (3-mile) hike, with the last hike starting at 11 a.m.
- Participants are encouraged to pre-register for the event as well as a specific hike time.
- Hikes will be limited to 30 participants each. Pre-registered participants will be given a vehicle access pass to enter the site.
- We will also offer self-guided hikes for anyone between the hours of 9 and 11 a.m. Only the short (1-mile) hike route will be open for this. We will allow pre-registration for these hikes but will also allow people to show up the day of and pay the vehicle fee.
- Please keep in mind these are not delineated trails, so bikes and strollers will not be allowed.
The event will also feature the chance to paddle on the reservoir. Here are the details:
- People will be able to register to bring their own water craft, limited to stand-up paddleboards, canoes or kayaks.
- There will be a certified inspector from Colorado Parks and Wildlife at the event to check every personal water craft that comes in. If any water craft has any potential issue they will be turned away and not allowed into the reservoir. Boat inspections will take place from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., We will do registration for 50 crafts every 15 min.
- There will also be paddleboards and kayaks available to rent from Colorado SUP Sports in one to three hour segments. All individuals participating with watercraft on the reservoir, are required to be off the water by 11:45 a.m., as the event closes at noon. RENT HERE
Event detailsDate: Saturday, June 2, 2018
Time: 8 am – noon
Cost: $5/vehicle, $10 for each water craft brought in.
• Dogs will not be allowed
• Fishing will not be allowed
• Swimming will not be allowed