2018 Budget Development
The process of developing the Town’s annual budget starts with setting priorities. Results from the 2017 Community Survey play a key part in that process.
Then, the dollars and cents must be addressed in the form of projecting revenues and assessing expenses.
Needs grow along with the community, but the reality of available resources means that not all needs can be met. The overarching goal is to direct the available resources to the priorities identified by the community and affirmed by the Town Council.
All of this involves a process that takes months to complete and offers many opportunities for public involvement. Here’s a look at the planned 2018 budget process:
- Results of the 2017 Community Survey were presented to Town Council May 2
- Council on June 6 will have an initial discussion about strategic priorities moving forward, as well as on the planned steps in the 2018 budget development process
- Town budget open houses will be held in June through August – check back soon for particular dates
- Presentation of the Preliminary 2018 Budget is anticipated to occur at the Aug. 15 Town Council meeting
- First reading of the budget ordinance is planned for Sept. 5, and second and final reading is planned for Sept. 19
- First reading of the property tax mill levy ordinance also is planned for Sept. 19, along with adoption of the 2018-2020 Balanced Financial Plan and 2018-2022 Capital Improvement Program
- Second and final reading of the property tax mill levy ordinance is planned for Dec. 5
The Town invites community members to share their views during the many public input opportunities that will be offered as part of this budget process. Those who can’t make it out to those events are welcome to email us.