Working on solutions
In 2012, CDOT performed a traffic study along Meadows and Founders parkways, which the state owns and operates. This study led engineers to design a series of improvements for the corridor.
Some of those solutions are planned for 2013:
- A second lane will be added to the interstate on-ramp from eastbound Founders Parkway to northbound Interstate 25.
- One lane on eastbound Founders Parkway will become an exclusive lane for the I-25 northbound on-ramp. The other lane will be an optional through/right turn lane onto northbound I-25 from the bridge on eastbound Founders Parkway. This modification will improve lane use by providing an additional eastbound through lane on Founders Parkway from the I-25 southbound off-ramp, helping relieve the long queues and improve operations at this intersection.
- Changing the rightmost lane on Founders Parkway at all of the intersections from Allen Way to Woodlands Boulevard from “right-lane-must-turn-right” lanes to optional through/right turn lanes in both eastbound and westbound directions. This change is scheduled for spring 2013, improving the overall capacity of Founders east of I-25.
Other changes are in the planning stages:
- Providing a southbound right turn island at Crowfoot Valley Road. This will improve safety and operations at the intersection. It is on CDOT’s Safety Enhancement Projects list and scheduled for evaluation.
- CDOT has initiated the design phase to replace the pavement on Founders Parkway between I-25 and Woodlands Boulevard. The highlights of this project include improvements to the Founders Parkway and Allen Way intersection, and widening the Founders on-ramp to northbound I-25 to two lanes.
CDOT also plans to reconstruction Founders Parkway from I-25 east to Woodlands Boulevard. Funding has not yet been identified for this project.