Go To Search
Facebook Twitter
Click to Home
Digital Cities AwardBest of Web Award
End of Watch
Honoring the service of Marshal Raymond B. Lewis
end of watch
Marshal Raymond B. Lewis

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
Seventeen-year-old Manuel Perez was a fugitive wanted for shooting two Denver police officers. Despite an extensive manhunt, he eluded authorities until the tragic day of Feb. 14, 1946. In an attempt to lie low, Perez came to Castle Rock, where he believed he would not be recognized.

While sitting in the B&B Café (corner of Wilcox and Fourth streets), patrons who had seen newspaper photos recognized Perez. They summoned the only law enforcement officer in Town, Marshal Raymond Lewis.

When Marshal Lewis arrived at the café, Perez became suspicious and attempted to leave. Lewis approached Perez and told the wanted teenager to put his hands in the air. Instead, Perez quickly turned on Lewis, pulling a revolver from his coat. He fatally shot Lewis twice. One bullet struck Lewis at point-blank range in the chest, while the other grazed his shoulder. Defending themselves with a flowerpot and a hunting knife, café customers jumped on the gun-wielding murderer.

Several shots were fired during the struggle. One of the customers was shot in the hand, while Perez suffered a gazing shot to the ear. Perez eventually was subdued and held until Undersheriff Duncan Lowell arrived and made the arrest. A bullet hole still can be seen in the B&B’s ceiling near the ceiling fan. Another is in the back of the bar.

Lewis was survived by his wife, Ruth, and their four children Bob, Wayne, Donna and Marlene.

Perez subsequently was convicted of first-degree murder. As a minor, he could not receive the death penalty and instead was sentenced to life in prison. He later was killed in a prison knife fight.

Castle Rock, CO
100 N. Wilcox St.
Castle Rock, CO 80104
Home Subscribe News Contact Us Sitemap Translate Page Accessibility Powered by CivicPlus Copyright Notice Disclaimer