- Castle Rock Police
- Community Programs
- Citizens Police Academy
Citizens Police Academy
We are now accepting applications for the 2023 Academy
What is it like to be an officer in Castle Rock? Every year, we provide Town residents the chance to gain a better understanding of what those in the policing profession go through on a daily basis through the Citizens Police Academy. Participants engage in a combination of classroom and hands-on training.
Applications for this free program will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to the high volume of applicants, we require participants attend at least 80% of classes. Additionally, participants must complete a background check and sign a waiver of liability prior to the first night. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
Apply for the 2023 Citizens Police Academy here.
Classes will mostly be held Wednesdays from 6 to 10 p.m. beginning April 19 through June 28. Additionally, there are two Saturday courses (June 3 and 17). Graduation is scheduled for June 28.
The academy contains mini versions of the same types of training real officers go through. Participants learn or experience:
- Community policing tactics
- Crime scene processing and evidence collection
- Demonstrations from the Regional SWAT team and K9 units
- Education in federal, state and local laws
- Investigative procedures, including officer discretion relating to arrests
- Self-defense / firearm safety
- Traffic laws, accident investigation and drunken-driving enforcement
- Victim assistance services
The academy’s goal is to build partnerships between Castle Rock residents and the officers who serve and protect them through a series of classes instructed by police officers. Residents interested in how the Castle Rock Police Department’s policies and procedures work or those who have questions about CRPD's Citizens Police Academy may email us.