Residential permit applications
Contractors are required to have a valid license from a jurisdiction with an ICC equivalent exam, certificate of liability of insurance, workers compensation insurance (if applicable) and current registration with the Town of Castle Rock prior to applying for a building permit. Visit eTrakiT for contractor registration and renewal information.
Homeowners may act as their own contractor for residential additions, alterations or repairs. Homeowner Affidavit (PDF) - this form is required for homeowner's performing their own work and acting as their own general contractor.
Residential building permit types are available through eTrakiT. The Town of Castle Rock Building Division supports Project Green. Project Green promotes an environmentally responsible and sustainable Town workforce, which includes paperless building permit applications. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their plans electronically in PDF format for review through eTrakiT.
Some permit types may not require a plan review. These are Residential Roof (for re-roofing projects), Residential AC, Residential Furnace, Residential Water Softener, Residential Water Heater (if tankless, a review will be added after submittal for review of gas piping load calculations). Items required for submittal will be noted in the application process. For questions please contact the Building Division by email or by phone at 720-733-3527 for questions regarding requirements and plan review.
Please note - tankless water heaters require a plan review. Please provide the manufacturer's specification sheet and gas piping load calculations with your submittal.
Residential fire sprinklers
Temporary erosion & sediment control (TESC)
As of July 1, 2019, changes to the erosion control program for residential buildings are in effect. Residential developments must comply with the new vertical residential TESC Permit requirements. No building permits will be released without an approved TESC Plan and Permit in place.
Vertical Residential TESC Permit Submittal requirements:
- Land use application
- TESC permit (PDF)
- Cost estimate (PDF)
- Vertical Residential Drawing and Report Checklist (PDF)
- Vertical Residential Drawing and Report prepared by a professional engineer (example plan (PDF))
Single-family custom homes have a few additional submittal requirements compared to a typical tract home. All requirements are summarized in the Custom Homes Stormwater Checklist (PDF).
Multi-family residential projects, other than paired-home construction, are subject to the regulatory authority of the Standard TESC Permit Program from the start of grading operations through final Close-out Acceptance. They do not require a separate Vertical Residential TESC Permit for vertical construction.
Residential bonding for final grade
When final grade cannot be achieved due to weather, the permittee may submit the completed form on page 2 of the Residential Bonding Policy (PDF) for final grade to request approval to post a Fiscal Surety. Bonds will be approved only in cases where final grade cannot be established because of adverse site conditions caused by weather at the time of the final inspection. Bonds for reasons other than weather-related site conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis and are subject to denial. Temporary sediment controls are required at all times regardless of weather conditions.
View the Fee Schedule.
- 2018 Uncovered Decks and Porches Guide (PDF)
- 2018 Detached Garage Guide (PDF)
- 2018 Enclosing Patio Guide (PDF)
- Alternative Materials and Methods (PDF)
- Custom Home and Calculated Building Height (PDF)
- Custom Homes Stormwater Checklist 1-2022 (PDF)
- Contractor Registration and Renewal Form (PDF)
- Electronic Submittal Guidelines Residential (PDF)
- Gas Line Appliance Checklist (PDF)
- Landscape and Irrigation Design Affidavit (PDF)
- Residential Addition Checklist (PDF)
- Residential Addition 2018-One Story (PDF)
- Residential Basement Finish Plan Guide 5.2022 (PDF)
- Residential CO Checklist (PDF)
- Residential Roof Policy (PDF)
- Residential Water Fixture Unit Calculations (PDF)
- Residential Water Fixture Unit Calculations (XLS)
- Revisions and Resubmittal Guidelines (PDF)
- Skyline Ridgeline Deferred Planting (PDF)
- Third Party Sewer Inspection Form (PDF)
- Third Party Water Inspection Form (PDF)
- Zoning Regulations for Contractors and Builders (PDF)
- Residential DESC Bond Request Form 5-2021 (PDF)
- Foundation Compliance Form 3.20.23 ADA (PDF)