Land Use

Creating our community through smart development

Castle Rock is a great place to live. Regularly ranked as a best place, our Town is often top-of-mind when people consider moving. And who could blame them? What we have here rocks.

We want to be smart as our Town continues to thrive. Residents can play an active role in this process. Here, you will find the information you need as our Town continues to grow.

Curious what's already underway?

Check out our Development Activity Map.

Every new development goes through an approval process. The development process for new residential and commercial projects is market-driven and includes multiple steps. The Town's role is to review a proposal at each step and make suggested changes. Ultimately, all major developments in Town must be reviewed by the Planning Commission and approved by Town Council.

Development process

It's important to know that the Town only approves development projects in areas within Town limits. Those that aren't, must go through the annexation process.

A majority of Town projects are constructed as planned developments (often referred to as a PD). This means they are uniquely planned based on the project, rather than using predefined zoning. This allows for better planned mixed-use areas that fit Castle Rock's unique character.

Here's a look at that process:

  • The PD plan must be reviewed by staff and the Planning Commission and approved by Town Council. This process includes public hearings
  • Once the PD plan is approved, a non-residential developer can begin grading. (Residential developers must wait until later in the process)
  • Then, a site development plan, which is a more detailed footprint that outlines utilities, grading and transportation. This plan is also reviewed by the Planning Commission and must be approved by Town Council to move forward
  • Then, the legal definition of the area is determined. That process is called platting. After platting, residential developers can begin grading
  • After the ground is ready, the developer must still apply for building permits through the Town. Only then can a project go vertical.