- Town Government
- Castle Rock Police
- Community Programs
- Youth Police Academy
Youth Police Academy
Castle Rock Police Department is proud to present our Youth Police Academy. Introduced in 2021, the Youth Police Academy is an educational and leadership-building experience for Castle Rock middle and high school students.
With the help of CRPD's school resource officers, students work together to find solutions for youth-specific issues, while also developing the tools necessary to become leaders among their peers. Additionally, students experience what officers face on a daily basis through a variety of hands-on and classroom sessions.
Returning students who have already attended a Youth Police Academy are encouraged to apply for the YPA Leadership Track. This opportunity allows them to continue their education, while also assisting new students in the development of leadership skills.
Castle Rock Police Department will offer two separate sessions. The Youth Police Academies are free, but there are limited spots available. Registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis.
The 2023 Youth Police Academy dates are as follows:
- June 12 to 16 (approximately 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day)
- July 10 to 14 (approximately 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day)
**Please note: As of April 26, the June Academy session is full; however, we are still accepting Leadership Track applications.
What Students Learn
Here are a few examples of our classes:
- Traffic safety to include drunk driving and distracted driving awareness
- Criminal and crime scene investigation
- Accident investigations with drone demonstrations
- Police scenario-style training using a simulator
- Regional SWAT and K9 demonstrations
Youth Police Academy
- Students ages 13 to 17 who are residents of Castle Rock and surrounding areas
- Students interested in law enforcement's role in the community
Youth Police Academy Leadership Track
- Students ages 14 to 17; previous YPA students preferred
- Priority will be given to residents of the Castle Rock community
- Students who are action-oriented and service-minded who will act on what they learn
- Students who have a willingness to share what they learn to positively influence their peers and school