The suspect in last month’s homicide investigation is back in Douglas County.
Matthew Buchanan, 32, was extradited to Colorado from Florida and arrived at the Douglas County Detention Facility Thursday night. He was arrested on May 3 in Monroe County, Florida, by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.
Buchanan was first named as a person of interest following a fire and death investigation in the Terrain neighborhood on April 26. Investigators later issued a warrant for his arrest for his involvement in the death of his mother.
The Castle Rock Police Department submitted the following charges to the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s Office:
- 1st Degree Murder, After Deliberation – Class 1 Felony
- 1st Degree Murder (Criminal Attempt) – Class 2 Felony
- 1st Degree Arson, three counts – Class 3 Felony
- Tampering with a Deceased Body – Class 3 Felony
- Criminal Mischief ($20,000 to $100,000) – Class 4 Felony
- Tampering with Physical Evidence – Class 6 Felony
- Cruelty to Animals, two counts – Class 6 Felony
Buchanan’s new booking photo can be found at the bottom of this release.
This case has been turned over to the office of the District Attorney.
Get Town news straight to your inbox. Sign up online at CRgov.com/NotifyMe. For information from the Castle Rock Police Department, follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/CRpoliceCO), Twitter (@CRpoliceCO) and Instagram (@CRpoliceCO).