Community Development Block Grant
In 2020, Castle Rock was awarded its first annual Community Development Block Grant for the federal fiscal year of 2021. The grant is offered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and provides grants on a formula basis to states, cities and counties by promoting viable urban communities and benefitting persons with low and moderate incomes.
Community input guides the Town’s use of this funding. To date, the grant has been used to support seniors living within Castle Rock, and for accessibility improvements at Town facilities.
The goals of the CDBG program are to provide decent housing and a suitable living environment and to expand economic opportunities for low-to-moderate-income residents living in the Town. CDBG funding can be used for the following purposes:
- Benefit low and moderate-income persons in the community.
- Prevent or eliminate slums or blight.
- Address urgent community development needs where existing conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the community. The funds can be used when no other funding is available.
Annual Action Plan
The Annual Action Plan maps out how the funds will be used for the upcoming program year. Each year the Town presents the new Annual Action Plan to the community for feedback before it is submitted to HUD.
The disbursement of grant funds coincides with an annual program calendar beginning Oct. 1 and ending Sep. 30 of the following year.
- 2023-2024: $255,712 (Oct. 10, 2023, to Sept. 30, 2024) View the 2023-2024 Annual Action Plan
- 2022-2023: $244,728 (Oct. 1, 2022, to Sept. 30, 2023) View the Annual Action Plan for 2022 to 2023
- 2021-2022: $234,817 (Oct. 10, 2021, to Sept. 30, 2022) The Action Plan for 2021-2023 can be found within the 2021-2025 Consolidated Plan
Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report
The CAPER reports on accomplishments and expenditures for the CDBG program as required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development during each program year.
- View the 2022-2023 Public Hearing CAPER Presentation (MP4)
- View the 2022-2023 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (PDF)
- View the 2021-2022 Open House CAPER presentation (PDF)
- View the 2021-2022 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (PDF)
2021 to 2025 Consolidated Plan
The 2021 to 2025 Consolidated Plan (PDF) was designed to help the Town assess its affordable housing and community development needs and make data-driven, place-based investment decisions for the CDBG. The plan is submitted every five years.
The Consolidated Plan identified the following priority allocations for funding:
- Public facilities and infrastructure — Funds will be used to provide improved access to public facilities located in neighborhoods, parks and recreation, and ADA-required parking. Funding may also be used to improve streets, sidewalks, water and sewage, ADA accessibility, and other infrastructures.
- Supportive services — Funds will be used for supportive services that improve the quality of life for the elderly living in Castle Rock. Supportive services include independent living services and health and self-sufficiency assistance. Funding may also be used to provide services for the disabled, youth, and vulnerable population groups while offering job training, emergency assistance and health services.
- Administration — The remainder of the grant is allocated to fund staff who process required grant paperwork, create reports, and assure compliance with regulations. It also provides funding for supplies and staff training.
The Citizen Participation Plan (PDF) sets forth how the Town will encourage public participation in the CDBG program. Any amendments to the Citizen Participation Plan will go through a 30-day public feedback period before finalization.
Questions or comments?
If you have questions or comments about CDBG, please email Becky Bland or call 720-733-2244.